Digital Literacy curriculum resources, low cost computer hardware for nonprofits, grant programs for computer hardware, etc.
"The CFL program evolved as a guide for implementing Executive Order 12999, Educational Technology: Ensuring Opportunity for all Children in the Next Century. The order encourages agencies, to the extent permitted by law, to transfer computers and related peripheral equipment excess to their needs directly to schools and educational nonprofit organizations. The CFL website allows eligible recipients to view and select the computer equipment that federal agencies have reported as excess (via GSAXcess®)." (Home Page, 2.7.2014)
From their "About Us" page: "The Digital Literacy portal is an initiative of the Obama Administration to serve as a valuable resource to practitioners who are delivering digital literacy training and services in their communities. As more and more jobs and educational offerings are available online, the ability to navigate the Internet is critical to participate more fully in the economy. Jumpstarted by a federal interagency working group dedicated to spurring the advancement of digital literacy across all age groups and stages of learning, the Digital Literacy portal organizes content conveniently, enables valuable discussion and collaboration among users and elevates best practices to improve the quality of digital literacy offerings. We invite users to share their content and their ideas to make the portal more robust and to fulfill its role as a destination for practitioners devoted to enhancing digital opportunity for all Americans"
"Please complete the questionnaire below so that we may pre-qualify all of your constituents for our low cost Internet and computer offers. EveryoneOn will update you with your approval status within one week. If approved- you will receive a unique URL and further instructions to help your members access available offers. Join the movement and help us get EveryoneOn!"
"Connect2Compete - Being online is critical to a child’s future. Connect2Compete (C2C) is EveryoneOn’s flagship program for families that qualify for the National School Lunch Program. It brings affordable Internet service to the home, so families can use it for homework, job searches, or to connect with their loved ones."
"GCFLearnFree.org creates and provides quality, innovative online learning opportunities to anyone who wants to improve the technology, literacy and math skills needed to be successful in both work and life. By delivering over 750 different lessons to millions of people in over 200 countries and territories ABSOLUTELY FREE, GCFLearnFree.org is a worldwide leader in online education."
"GoodPC offers high-quality, reconditioned PCs and technology that are perfect for your organization. Save money, and feel better knowing your budget is about to shrink for once."
From their "About Us" page: "GoodPC is a business built around the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to have technology at their fingertips, at an affordable price. We reclaim, refurbish and resell computing equipment and electronics that still have lots of life in them. The result is terrific, like-new PCs and electronics that sell for a fraction of the cost of brand new products while also protecting the environment."
"Google for Nonprofits offers organizations like yours access to highly discounted or free products. These tools can help you find new donors and volunteers, work efficiently, and get supporters to take action." (Home Page, 2.7.2014)
"Microsoft is proud to work with more than 50,000 nonprofits around the world every year to provide them with affordable access to the technology they need to support their work in local communities, and to leverage technology to help them be more efficient, effective and innovative in doing their important work. Whether it is through our software donations, technology solutions for nonprofit problems, or Office 365 for Nonprofits, we strive to help nonprofits do more good." (Home Page, 2.7.2014)
"The Verizon Foundation is focused on using technology to solve critical social issues in the areas of energy management, education, and healthcare. Through the support of our employees and resources, we help address the needs of communities around the world." (Home Page, 2.7.2014)
“Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often.”
― Mark Twain
"Well done is better than well said."
- Benjamin Franklin
"Write down the thoughts of the moment. Those that come unsought for are commonly the most valuable."
- Francis Bacon
"Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart."
- William Wordsworth
"I love writing. I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotions."
- James Michener
This will be a fun experiment...can't wait to look back at it next December!
2014 Tech Predictions
2) Someone will release a tablet and stylus combination that makes for a writing experience almost indistinguishable from the pen-on-paper experience. (If this already exists, somebody better tell me before I buy more Moleskine notebooks...and no, the Galaxy Note products aren't quite there yet in my opinion...they're good...very good...but not quite there yet.)
- 1.10.2014, the "Asus VivoTab Note 8, M80TA" with Wacom digital stylus, sounds promising!...http://www.asus.com/us/News/yi29FiPzTzzNXPhu, Reviews: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2429260,00.asp, http://liliputing.com/2014/01/hands-asus-vivotab-note-8-windows-tablet.html)
- 1.20.2014: this device looks like it may come in a bit under-powered. Also, I am searching for an Android tablet that lives up to this prediction.
- 1.22.2014: If there really is a "Google Nexus 8" in development, AND it has a stylus... I think we will have a winner! Of course, it could be fairly closely related to this Asus VivoTab Note 8...
- 1.29.2014: The "Boogie Board Sync" is interesting: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/01/07/boogie-board-takes-handwritten-notes-digital/ .
- 1.30.2014: The solution may already be here, in the form of the Toshiba Excite Write Tablet! Now to find a place to test drive one...
6) Facebook will have a very serious rival, which will spark rumors of a "MySpace-like Exodus." No real information behind this...just a sense that its time has come.
13) The Google vs. ESRI battle will continue and Google will overtake ESRI, and possibly absorb (see also "purchase") them. (related:Google's success will be largely due to an agreement with these folks, http://icesat.gsfc.nasa.gov/icesat2/
...No real info. to back that up either, but if I had Google's money...and I knew NASA needed money...I'd be working on it....)
Google Apps - Work In The Future: Google Apps for Business: